Gunman Fires Shots at US Embassy in Lebanon

0

One attacker was killed, another was wounded, and a third escaped.

On Wednesday morning, the U.S. embassy in Lebanon, located in the north of the capital Beirut, came under gunfire, according to a statement by the Lebanese Army Command.

RELATED:

Three Brazilians Injured After Israeli Attack in South Lebanon

“The U.S. embassy in Lebanon was exposed to gunfire by a Syrian national. Army members were deployed in the area and responded to the sources of fire, resulting in the injury of the shooter,” the statement said, adding the shooter was arrested and taken to a hospital for treatment.

An investigation was launched into the incident. The U.S. embassy confirmed in a separate statement on social media platform X that “small arms fire” was reported near the entrance to the embassy at 8:34 a.m. local time.

“Thanks to the quick reaction of the Lebanese Armed Forces, Internal Security Forces, and our Embassy security team, our facility and our team are safe,” the U.S. embassy said.

???????????????????????? Shooting near the U.S. Embassy in #Lebanon.

The building of the diplomatic mission was attacked by a Syrian from ISIS.

Yesterday, #Israel said it was ready for an offensive against Lebanon because of the increased Hezbollah shelling from its territory. pic.twitter.com/s8npWVe5kj

— Ukraine Lives Matter (@ULM_Info) June 5, 2024

Meanwhile, local media reported that the embassy was attacked by three gunmen on motorcycles, leading to a heavy exchange of gunfire and a violent clash.

Reports indicated one attacker was killed, another was wounded, and the third escaped. Security agencies are searching for the third suspect. Lebanon’s caretaker prime minister, Najib Mikati, said he was following up on the incident with the army commander and leaders of security forces. So far, no group has claimed responsibility for the incident.

“We at the U.S. Embassy do not feel fear following this incident, as our security measures are very robust, and our relationship is strong. We continue our work at the Embassy as usual,” Jake Nelson, U.S. Embassy spokesperson, said, as posted by Mario Nawfa on social networks.

#FromTheSouth News Bits | Following three years of suspension, Syrian refugees set off their return from Lebanon to their home. pic.twitter.com/I0xShT8U7F

— teleSUR English (@telesurenglish) May 16, 2024

Source: Xinhua

teleSUR/ JF

Deja una respuesta